Saturday, January 9, 2010

New Record for Longest Travel.

I left my house at 6pm Central Time on Monday. I arrived at my final destination in Bagamoyo, Tanzania at 7pm local time or 10am Central Time on Wednesday. Yes. Wednesday. In total it was 40 hours door to door. I had an 11 hour flight to Istanbul followed by a 2 hour flight to Cairo followed by a 7 hour flight to Dar es Salaam. I knew it would be exhausting, but it was more so than even I had anticipated. All in all, things went smoothly. The check in line at O’Hare when I was leaving was absurdly long. To add insult to injury the whole international terminal area is practically empty except for the Turkish Airways counter. On the bright side of things, I got to talk with the guy behind me for about 30 minutes. Turns out he was the security director of a petroleum company going to Azerbaijan and he told me all about good security measures to take and things to look out for, ect. He also had been based in Turkey for a while so he gave me some suggestions for the week I will be spending there at the end of March! Lemonade from lemons. Traveling alone you meet the most fascinating people.

No comments: